Saturday, September 02, 2006

Fall

To those of us who live up North, you know fall starts the day after Labor Day - seriously. Any warm days after Labor Day we consider to be "Indian Summer". I have no clue what that is supposed to mean but I've heard that term my entire life. Here in NY, our whole summer is from the start of Memorial Day weekend to the end of Labor Day weekend. This is gospel! Never mind when the calendar says summer begins and fall begins.

August was a cool month and that makes me a little worried. I've seen geese fly already and my mums are blooming. Nights in August have been in the 50's. It seems that I remember as a kid August was the hottest month of the year - in the 90's and very humid. We called them the "dog days of August" and why we looked forward to fall. I'm wondering if we are in for a hard winter?? Last winter Jamie only had to shovel the driveway two times so I'm think this is going to be a bad winter. Yikes!!

I love the spring and summer. To go outside without a coat is a joy. I love driving around and seeing all the ways that people decorate their homes with flowers. I love driving and looking at the trees so full and swaying in the breeze. So many trees have great shapes - especially the big ones. I always enjoy looking for that perfect shaped tree.

I was extremely impatient for spring to begin this year. I couldn't wait to see the green again and I am equally impatient for fall to begin. Don't get me wrong, fall is a beautiful time of year. The colors of the leaves when they're at their height is so beautiful - but that means soon the leaves will fall and we'll be stuck looking at sticks in the air for six months - agghh!!

This weekend some people (like my neighbor) will cover their pools. We wait as long as we can because it's just such a finality to summer and it's depressing. I still sit on the deck when I can. If I could, I'd bring the fire pit up there to keep warm so I could sit longer. September is such an "iffy" month. It could be 75 one day and 40 the next. It's the transition month. Even October can be beautiful but in October, you are just plain lucky for warm, sunny days.

Marchelle, Corine and kids will be here in a couple weeks for Marchelle's baby shower. I'm sure they'll be freezing as they're still getting high temps and humidity. I'm hoping it's warm enough and rain-free that we can enjoy the deck and the fire pit. Jamie and I are looking forward to that - just a nice and relaxing time for all.

3 comments:

Granpappy said...

Ah, Labor Day, the time of year when we look forward to eating on the patio. It's still in the high 70s in the morning, but we'll be eating breakfast out there soon. Jealous?

Corine said...

I was at a party on Sunday and I was talking about how the weather was probably getting cold in NY. As the kids were swimming and I was sweating I was wondering if you were gonna close the pool! Please wait till after we come, the kids can't wait to come to your pool even if it's too cold!! I can't wait to come next week!!

Ronabear41 said...

To Granpappy: Yes I'm jealous!!

To Corine: Wouldn't think of closing the pool till after you come. The kids aren't really going to go in, are they. It's only 70 degrees!! Jamie's trying to prepare himself to go in. I think we'll have to conspire and push him in somehow!! He said paybacks are a #^@%!